How To Become An SEO Professional From Scratch: Everything You Wanted To Know About The Job - Semalt Expert Advice
SEO (search engine optimization) is promotion, website promotion for subsequent monetization in one way or another. With the help of such a tool, large, medium, and small business options, personal brands, individual goods, or services are promoted. Ultimately, the goal is to attract buyers and customers through Internet resources. The goal may be different: not to make money, but to increase interest in some problem or project.
As practice shows, today SEO is often opposed to PPC (contextual advertising) and trying to choose between two tools. And here a lot depends on the goals. SEO works better in the long run and is generally much cheaper. Let Semalt help you to understand everything you wanted to know about the Job.
Tasks and responsibilities of an SEO specialist
At first, everything sounds simple, but in fact, the list of professional tasks looks impressive and includes the following types of work:
- comprehensive analysis, site audit - identification of the strengths and weaknesses of the site;
- drawing up a plan of those tasks, the solution of which will help to promote the resource to the desired positions;
- analysis of competitors' work - also taking into account the strengths and weaknesses;
- external and internal website optimization;
- SEO-promotion of the site on Internet through numerous tools;
- bringing existing content to an optimal state;
- constant monitoring of search algorithms - correction of the plan taking into account these changes;
- interaction with the customer - so, it is necessary to regularly provide reports on the work done and its results;
- interaction with copywriters, control over the results of their work;
- control of information on the site in terms of whether it complies with applicable laws or not.
If a specialist works for himself, one more task is added to these tasks - an independent search for clients.
The list of responsibilities differs depending on how, with whom and on what project the person is working. Freelancers often have many tasks, and people who work for large companies often have specializations. Therefore, there are branches of the profession, for example:
Link builder. This is the person responsible for placing links to third-party resources. He looks for sites, negotiates with their owners, makes sure that the links work and are placed correctly.
Compiler of the semantic core. The task of this person is to compile a list of user requests, distribute them across pages, and so on.
Project coordinator. This is a person who is directly involved in communicating with the customer, solving financial issues, drawing up plans, monitoring other specialists.
Narrow specializations are usually in demand when a large number of people are working on several projects. In small firms and freelancing, usually, one person solves several problems. If you are interested in training as an SEO specialist, first focus on the general option, which involves studying the topic without splitting into the narrowest specialties.
Tasks that an SEO specialist is not obliged to solve
Often, customers have a vague understanding of what kind of work such a professional does. Because of this, not the most adequate requirements are imposed on specialists. Jobs with a list of responsibilities that do not belong to the tasks of SEO specialists are surfing the net and often scare newbies. But don't worry, because the SEO specialist, although he can, is not obliged to fulfill the duties of the following employees:
- designer and layout designer responsible for site design;
- specialist in contextual advertising;
- a copywriter who creates content according to the terms of reference;
- a system administrator who makes sure that the site works, there are no viruses and other problems, that there are all the necessary widgets, etc.
Sometimes additional tasks are added to responsibilities, but this is not necessary. And if such obligations do exist, this is a weighty argument for claiming higher wages.
Qualities that are necessary for a specialist of this profile
An SEO specialist is a person who has several qualities at once:
- Learning ability and the desire to learn regularly, non-stop is the foundation of the profession.
- The desire to constantly apply the obtained theory in practice.
- Curiosity, interest in what is happening around.
- An analytical mindset, strategic thinking, as well as the ability to collect, structure and process information.
- Ability to work in a team, communication skills.
- Persistence and the ability to wait. In this area, results are not achieved immediately after the completion of the work - a lot bears fruit over a long period of time.
- Attention to detail, ability to concentrate at the right moment.
- Ability to correctly react to mistakes and process them into a valuable experience. An SEO specialist never gives up if something went wrong - he is looking for a way out of this situation.
- Stress tolerance. It will come in handy both when analyzing the results and when communicating with individuals.
The set of these skills is not unique - a huge number of people have them. To this, we add a great desire to work in a promising, very interesting area that does not stand still, is constantly developing. If everything fits together, then the chances of success are very high.
Benefits of working as an SEO specialist
This job has many advantages:
Market demand: moreover, a good professional can easily find a job both in a company of any size and in a freelance format. It is not uncommon for people with experience to work remotely while traveling or living in a country, city, or village with more comfortable conditions for themselves. This work is available to everyone, regardless of location and other conditions.
Great prospects for the profession in the future
The virtual world is now growing and developing. A huge number of firms, companies, private entrepreneurs and organizations go to the network. The level of competition between them is colossal, which means that in the foreseeable future, the demand for people who know how to promote and fight this competition will only grow.
Growth from a performer to a leader is a natural movement for those who try, develop and constantly learn. In addition, professionals become team leaders, web analysts, and internet marketers. And the most daring SEO specialists create their own companies over time.
The price tag varies, but usually, it is about amounts that are significantly higher than average salaries in other professions. Depending on the region, length of service and the specific place of work, the average salary of such a professional is $ 500-1,500. And this is far from the limit - there are top-level optimizers who earn much more.
Working with new projects
Due to the variety of tasks, the profession does not get bored: conditions, tasks always change, there is always an expectation of one or another result. This direction is great for people who cannot do the same thing every hour and every minute.
Disadvantages of being an SEO specialist
There are no such professions in which there are no flaws, and this case was no exception. True, as in many other situations, the disadvantages will be relative - those who want to work in this area are unlikely to consider them as such.
The weighty complexity of the profession
The weighty complexity of the profession is the very rapid development of the sphere. You cannot learn one thing or find a tool that will work for a long time. It is necessary to constantly develop, get acquainted with trends, and discard everything that is outdated. This is a constant movement and a pretty serious pace that you need to be prepared for.
The need to regularly communicate with a wide variety of people
Another disadvantage, which is relevant only for one hundred percent introverts, is the need to regularly communicate with a wide variety of people (project managers, copywriters, customers). But on the other hand, even for lovers of minimal communication, this will become a colossal life experience.
Getting started: How to become an SEO specialist from scratch
A few years ago, they were looking for a company that hires interns and offers conditions for development already in place. This practice still exists, but now the employer wants to see a person with a good background - without the prospect of learning from absolute zero. This is why SEO courses are the best place to start.
This choice has a number of advantages:
- Getting basic information in a short time. If you collect all this on the Internet, it will take a long time.
- Relevance. Thoughtful training courses are updated taking into account what is happening in the field.
- Accessibility - this applies to both money and distance form of online education, which erases all boundaries for students. The development of such an area as SEO-optimization takes place entirely in the virtual space.
All these advantages will be valid only with the right choice of school.
Career of an SEO specialist: main SEO key point to master
An SEO specialist who is considering a career should aim to master the following key points
SEO general structure
- What is SEO
- Goals and objectives of SEO promotion
- The main complex of work with the site to attract visitors
- Internal resource optimization for SEO-specialist and webmaster
- Technical optimization, compliance with standards
- SEO terminology
- Setting goals for the business and assessing their effectiveness
- Drawing up a strategy for promoting a resource in search engines
Principles of search engines. Ranking factors
- The structure of search engines and how they work
- Popular search engines
- Mobile search
- Search index structure
- Features of Google algorithms, latest updates
- Relevance concept
- SERP personalization
- The structure of the issue page
- Ranking Factors - Trust, Commercial, Link and Behavioral
Filters and search engine algorithms. Panel of webmasters. Google Search Console
- What is site pessimization
- What to do if positions or traffic on the site have dropped
- Diagnostics of filters on the site
- Ways to get out of the filter
- How to avoid filtering: rules for safe promotion
- Working with Google Search Console
- Why analyze a niche?
- Key competitors
- All competitors
- Links: quantity, dynamics, structure
- Collection of additional information and life hacks
- Sequence of collected data and conclusions
Portraits of the target audience. Working with Google Analytics
- Basic statistics
- The main goals of the sites (micro, macro)
- Advertising campaigns labeling. Working with the URL builder
- Installing GA to your resource, setting TOR to the programmer
- Goals and Events in Google Analytics
- Analysis: impressions, clicks, conversions, sales
- What is GTM and how to configure it
- Basic analytics reports
- Custom reports
- Essential SEO reports
Technical SEO site optimization
- Goals and objectives of technical website optimization
- Choosing the type of system for the site
- Domain selection and how to work with subdomains
- Checking additional domains (mirrors)
- Hosting and its types
- SSL (http to https) migration
- The last-modified parameter. Non-existent URLs and broken links
- Optimization of website speed and page loading
- Website structure optimization
- Menu optimization: types and construction rules
- Setting language versions
- Customize site navigation: breadcrumbs, clouds, linked pages, search, filters
- Redirect (page redirection)
- Adaptation for mobile devices
Internal website optimization. Meta tags
- Requirements for meta tags
- Title, Description, Keywords
- Importance of H1 Heading and H2-H3 Subheadings
- Setting up robots.txt
- Sitemap.xml setup
- Checking the indexing of content on the site
- Optimization for device types
- Duplicate content
- Internal linking and site weight distribution
Internal website optimization
- Site indexing and caching
- Optimization of page addresses (CNC): separators, length, way of writing
- Find duplicate pages
- Meta robots, canonical and hreflang tags
- Ways to optimize pagination, filtering and sorting
- Marker, micro-markup
- Creating a nice snippet, yml markup
- Correct 404 error setup
- Setting up redirects
- Noindex and nofollow on the site
Website content optimization
- Basics of working with content on the site
- Types of content on the site
- Website text parameters
- Optimization of texts: keywords and text structure
- Uniqueization and protection of texts
- Text Relevance and LSI
- Drawing up a technical assignment for a copywriter
- The concept of overspam and how to eliminate it
External website optimization
- Reference mass and where to get it
- Link ranking
- Features of the PageRank algorithm, creation of relevant anchor text
- Link types
- Buying and distributing link mass
- What are link exchanges
- Sources of external links
- What links are filtered by search engines and what sanctions are there
- What should be the link profile of the resource
- What is link promotion
- Attracting referral traffic
- Increasing brand awareness
- Types of links and how to apply them
- Forming an anchor list
- Buying links - tools and efficiency
- How to choose a site to place a link
Graduation of department specialists and interaction between departments
- Graduation of department specialists
- KPI for an SEO specialist. Performance evaluation system
- SEO budgeting
- Reporting your work
- Interaction with account managers
- Interaction with link builders
- Interaction with programmers
Having gained knowledge and experience in solving practical problems, students who have chosen SEO for themselves apply not only for trainee positions but also for real work with a salary. Practice shows that people who conscientiously invest their energy and time in training begin to work pretty quickly and get tangible results.
SEO courses are the first step towards obtaining a promising profession that will not lose its relevance for many years to come.